How do I know I am seeing a specialist Orthodontist?

An Orthodontist is a qualified Specialist who has first trained to become a Dentist and then has undertaken a further 3 years of study on a Postgraduate course at Masters or Doctorate level.

Specialist Orthodontists only treat Orthodontic braces to provide braces, whereas dentists will do fillings, extractions, crowns, bridges, dentures and may do simple Orthodontics.

Dentists are unlikely to have the same level of experience in providing Orthodontic treatment as an Orthodontist. You can check if your brace provider is on the Orthodontic Specialist Register of the Dental council before you commence treatment by clicking here.

If their name is not on this Register they are not and Orthodontist. You may also question your brace provider at consultation about their qualifications and experience and if they have completed a masters in Orthodontics.